Hanger Cranial Band
The Hanger Clinic Advantage
The Hanger Cranial Band is a treatment option for infants with abnormal head shape or “deformational plagiocephaly.” Plagiocephaly means the flattening or deformation of a baby’s head and is often classified as mild, moderate, or severe.
If your baby has been diagnosed with plagiocephaly, brachycephaly, or scaphocephaly, you can rest assured that the condition will be treated safely and painlessly with the help of our Hanger Clinic orthotists. The device we have developed to treat your baby is the Hanger Cranial Band. It’s an FDA cleared orthosis, specifically designed to treat deformational plagiocephaly.
Treatment with the Hanger Cranial Band is most effective when initiated between 4 and 6 months of age, and completed by 12 months of age. During this period, the head is easily shaped or altered to allow for rapid brain growth. A child can wear a cranial band until 18 months of age, but after that, growth slows considerably and making changes to the head’s shape with orthotic treatment is extremely limited. For this reason, Hanger Clinic orthotists and doctors nationwide, favor early intervention.
In about 85% of cases, a child may have both deformational plagiocephaly and congenital muscular torticollis. If this happens with your baby, your Hanger Clinic orthotist may combine orthotic cranial remolding techniques with a referral to a pediatric for physical therapist, to ensure the best possible outcome.
Many parents wonder if wearing a cranial band is painful. The answer is no. There is no pressure placed on a baby’s head. The design of the cranial band directs the natural growth of the skull towards a more symmetrical and/or proportional shape. In other words, your baby’s head will be gently, painlessly guided into a more round shape.
There’s also a fun side to the Hanger Cranial Band. There are many patterns, colors, and designs to choose from to personalize your child’s cranial band at no extra cost. There is everything from butterflies to race cars to starships. Ask your orthotist to show you how to turn your child’s cranial band into a work of art and a keepsake that reflects your child’s personality.
Hanger Cranial Band Advantages
With a Hanger Cranial Band, you’re not just getting an effective orthotic treatment system, you’re joining the vast Hanger Clinic network of clinically trained orthotic professionals with the expertise to make your child’s treatment a success.
Hanger Clinic advantages include:
• Leading provider of orthotic and prosthetic products and services worldwide
• 700+ Hanger Clinic locations nationwide to provide services for families on the go
• When relocating or traveling to another city, we can easily access or transfer your child’s medical records to another Hanger Clinic office, minimizing additional paperwork and care disruption
• Vast network of cranial specialists all across the United States to assist with high level/severe cases
• Intensive training and special certification for cranial band specialization
• A nationwide mentoring program for newly trained clinicians
• Partnerships with nationally and internationally recognized craniofacial surgeons
• Numerous insurance partnerships and contracts with a wide variety of providers (82% of babies treated for plagiocephaly through Hanger Clinic have their orthoses paid for by insurance)
• Skilled administrators experienced in acquiring insurance authorizations and funding resources / options
• Insignia™ laser scanning system
• Free evaluative scans and free follow-up appointments every time your baby’s cranial band needs adjusting
• Volunteer moms who are willing speak to parents just starting treatment